Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.
Thich Nhat Hanh

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Did you hear about the huricane in Ohio?

Last Sunday Hurricane Ike ravaged his way across Ohio - can you believe it? Now, it wasn't as bad as down south for sure, but we definitely got our share of destruction. Here are some photos from around where we live of the aftermath of the windstorm Sunday:















This Home Depot is just a mile or two from where we live



Troy drives past Mershon's every day on his way home from work - they lost their sign










This tree is on Maiden Lane - one street away from us and the street Troy's sister lives on



And here are the photos of the huge tree limbs that took out the power lines to our house Sunday:















The pictures really don't do it justice. We were afraid the whole tree was going to go down, it was swaying so! Sadly, we've been without power all week. The silver lining is we have been lucky enough to stay with Troy's parents. I would HATE being at home with no power. There are so many people without it. To a very small degree, we can understand what those poor people go through each year during hurricane season. Many areas in Ohio were hit much worse than here. We were so LUCKY that it wasn't worse in Springfield.



I am so blessed . . . Troy has worked so hard to clean up all the branches and leaves in the yard. He took a half day off on Monday and worked until dark cutting everything down, loading it in the truck, and driving it to the mulching place (several trips). He also worked very hard last night to clean and mow the lawn. He is my Superman.

Hopefully, we'll have power today or tomorrow. . . .



P.S.


It is very ironic; this all happened after Troy worked very hard on Saturday to cut down a tree in the front yard. We even joked around about a storm blowing our tree down in the back. Irony or what?!?

Before


During


More During



After

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That storm really was amazing. Sadly, we are the only ones without power in our neighborhood so we are probably low priority. Cleanup of the tree was a HUGE task. It was made even worse by the cleanup going on in the city and the long lines at the treedump place. Thanks to prayer though I was able to get it all done in one day. I just have a few leaves to clear out now.

Lesli Joe said...

HOLY COW!!! That is so scary! I'm glad that no one was hurt though. PS. I've never seen a picture of your house and it is really cute.

Lesli

Daren said...

WOW! Heather i am So glad you guys are all ok. That is very scary. I will actually be in Ohio October 4th - October 11th. So, I am hoping to see you at church, and such. Take care!

Kristy said...

So crazy! Glad you guys are ok. When I heard about that storm I couldn't believe it! I can only remember 1 other time when a hurricane actually came far enough in to cause damage to Ohio!

Anonymous said...

WOW Heather, I'm so glad you all are safe. Those trees are huge! Your house is so cute.

Marianne said...

I had no idea it was that bad there. CRAZY! I'm just glad you guys are okay.

Also, cute new family flick!

Anonymous said...

Heather....dear! I want you to be a guest on my blog. It's a decorating blog you know?! And I love your charming home....and I've seen the inside from pictures. Let me know what you think and if you're interested.

Kristin

Anonymous said...

oops...heather, I was signed in as DAren when i wrote that last comment. I (heather) will be in OHio, not Daren (at least not until our reception) my bad. love ya girl

Kathy G said...

Ouch! I'm sure glad it happened while Troy was IN town! And I'm glad it was only trees that were damaged and not your home, car, or the people that live in them.

D.Ray and Mel had major flooding the day before Ike came in. See their blog

http://drayandmelanie.blogspot.com/