Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.
Thich Nhat Hanh

Monday, November 5, 2007

Happy Halloween! (Better late than never!)

My little pumpkin and a reluctant pirate

We had a fun Halloween Weekend. Ohio is kind of different in the fact that they designate a day and time for trick or treating. So, we trick or treated the Saturday before Halloween from 6 to 8. Anyway, I had been prepping Brian for awhile about Halloween and trick or treating with the hopes he would get really excited about it. The funny thing was, he got so involved in handing out candy that he refused to put on his costume! Finally, we practically forced him to put it on once Sariah came by in her Cinderella costume. After that, it was lots of fun taking them around the neighborhood, although we had a few scary moments. Imagine these two little kids trying to cover their eyes but still get candy at the same time! Several times we had to tell them, "Look away! It's not real!" I wish I had recorded their little "Trick or treat!"'s and how they said thank you every time! Brian waited for a "You're welcome!" at every stop, including a deaf couple (after him saying thank you 10 times, we kind of figured it out). Even though we didn't take Ellie with us this time, she enjoyed staying with Grandma and Daddy to help pass out candy.
Excited to go trick or treating (finally!)
We also carved a pumpkin and made sugar cookies (fun traditions we try to do every year). Brian was a little scared of the pumpkin carving and didn't want to get involved until I was cutting out the face. One of the shows he watches in the morning had a "Pumpkin Monster" and he was a little worried that ours would be a monster too, lol! I got him to pose by it once, but he wouldn't do it again so I could have both him and Ellie in the picture! Maybe next year he'll be more interested; Ellie will be able to help then too!
"Helping" cut out cookies
Getting ready to decorate and devour the cookies
Trying Zwieback toast for the first time -- she needs a better grip!
No, it's not the pumpkin monster - it has a happy face!
My first Jack 'o Lantern

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun Halloween! That is so funny that they designate the trick or treat time. I bet the school teachers love it.

Anonymous said...

They are so handsome and pretty!!
I do miss them...